Saturday, March 31, 2012

A Boastful Heart...

Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money."  Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow.  What is your life?  You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.  Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that."
James 4:13-15


    Do you know anyone like this?  You constantly hear them bragging about their accomplishments or maybe name dropping to look as if they are important.  Maybe they boast about their many possessions or throw money in front of you as to try and impress you.  I have met a few of these people in my day; and I honestly hope I have never been one of those!  I of course wouldn't be throwing money around because I've never had wealth by means of financial success but I do have wealth in the Heavenly sense.
    I recently encountered someone that spoke much of her self and her accomplishments but I wasn't impressed by it; it wasn't spoken out of humbleness; but out of "look at me."  She constantly brought the attention back to herself and it really made her "heart" seem shallow.  Don't get me wrong, achievements in this world are Great and I have a small few myself; but I consistently seek to be humble before God.  All my possessions are only here for a short time and just like Job you can lose everything in the blink of an eye.  What does your heart hold?  The world or Christ?  Short term or long term?
    I also know someone who has what I would consider a great deal of wealth.  They could pay cash for their home and have anything they want.  They were very wise about their finances BUT you never heard them say a bragging comment and are the most of humble people I know.  I love that!  They never flashed their success around and never talked about themselves that would have made you feel inferior to them.  They weren't storing up earthly treasures.  In both cases God is the ultimate person that allowed them to have their success yet they choose 2 completely different ways in which to express it.  I want to always be like the latter; I want my accomplishments to reflect Christ and His ultimate Glory!! -CiCi-

No comments:

Post a Comment