Thursday, March 1, 2012

Bite Thy Tongue....

My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this:  Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires.
James 1:19-20 NIV



    Let's get a little un-spiritual:  shut your mouth, open your ears and bite your tongue until you are calm enough to handle the situation.  Believe me - my foot ends up in my mouth way more than I'm pleased about!  Especially when it comes to my children.
    We should not be preparing the speech in our mind as they are talking; we should hear everything that needs to be said and then wait a good 60 seconds before we respond.  Your response might even need to be, "I hear what you are saying and I would like to be in a rational state of mind before talking about this any further."  Then, just step away and do what's necessary to calm down.
    When we do things out of anger and immediate response, our actions and words can be extremely hurtful and they can't be taken back.  If you feel your blood pressure rising, so to speak, take 10 deep breaths - it does wonders for the both of you.
    Be attentive to the converstion at hand and remember; let them finish everything they need to say first, before you pounce in; I am totally guilty of this myself. - CiCi

No comments:

Post a Comment